Thursday, July 12, 2012

Rainbow Sight Words

Time to cross another item off my list! I created a system that I plan on using this year for sight words in my class, which means a FREEBIE for you!

Sight words and early reading go hand in hand. Students get joy out of reading even simple readers, so as teachers we can help them by exposing our students to sight words. I decided I am going to use the Dolch Pre-Primer and Primer list in my classroom, because I like how the words are organized by frequency.

I split the two lists into 9 groups of words (one group of words for each month). The Dolch sight word list includes a few color words, but I decided to assign a color each month to help organize. Every month I plan on sending home a copy of the list we are working on. In addition to the list, I will be providing parents with ideas for how to practice sight words in a fun, interactive way (rather than just always using flashcards). Here is a copy of the sight word list I created organized by month.
Click here for a copy!

To track the learning of our sight words, I am going to create a rainbow tracking display. At the end of each month, students will be assessed to see if they have mastered the list. If the student has the list mastered, they will get to add their name to the corresponding color of the rainbow. For example when "Student A" shows mastery of the yellow October list, their name will be added to the yellow band of our rainbow! By the end of the year, I hope we will have a beautiful classroom rainbow with lots of added names!

If you download my freebie, I would love you to follow my blog and leave me a comment!
post signature

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this list. I have some PreK'ers who (I feel) could be reading by the end of the year. This includes number and color words!! You're a life saver!!

    ~Kai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. See the link below for more info.

    #moment
    www.ufgop.org



    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this. I will be using this in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this list and the way it has been organized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! I've used this list in my classroom and the children really enjoy learning the new sight words each month.
    It's GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so very much!! My kids are always looking forward to the next months words.

    ReplyDelete